Chapter 5 - Hunter

                Hunter sighed, Chiron’s words still fresh in his mind. He wondered if Chiron actually meant for Hunter to gain something from that story. Honestly, it just made him more confused. He walked for a while before walking into his cabin. The Artemis cabin. It seemed odd that he felt so comfortable there. He knew that he hadn’t been there very long, but it still felt like home. He was in the Hermes cabin so long, but it never felt like home. There was always someone messing with his stuff. He was forced to move a lot, considering new influxes of people that were soon claimed and moved out anyway. Hunter slowly started packing his things, feeling less than excited about this trip.
It seemed like there was nothing that Hunter could do to make himself happy. He was happy when he was at camp, but after a while his happiness changed into resentment. Everyone around him was being claimed. When he finally was claimed, he felt like he belonged somewhere. He was content with his life. He was proud to be who he was. Then the gods threw Philippa into the mix. He thought that he had found a friend. Someone within the hunters that he could become friends with. She was one of the only hunters that didn’t loathe him for being a guy. It dishonors the whole squadron. He doesn’t belong here. Why would the lady even welcome him? He’s a man. He’s disgusting. Hunter rolled his neck as the words of the hunters rang in his mind. He had never felt welcome, but he did feel like he belonged whenever Philippa was around. She would always smile warmly and give him a small hug when he looked like he needed one. She seemed to know him so well, even before they got to know each other. Hunter believed at one point that there might be something waiting for him.  Something outside of camp or outside of being a hunter. Now, there it was again. The thing that ruined what was good. Ruin the things that made his life seem worthwhile. Hunter finished packing his backpack and set it on the ground near the door.
Hunter turned back to his bed and sat down just as the door opened behind him. “Looks like you’re ready to go already.” Marina said as she leaned in the doorway. Hunter shrugged.
“All packed and ready to go.” He said with a nod. Hunter stood up and walked out the door. He sat down on the porch and Marina sat next to him. “So, what’s up?” She asked with a smile.
“Not much. I just wanted to pack before the campfire tonight. The campfire before Capture the Flag is always a little more exciting. I knew I wasn’t going to want to do it tomorrow morning.” He explained, picking at the loose board on the stairs. He looked up at Marina and locked eyes with her for a moment. “Where’s Kyle?” He asked, his voice coming off a little bitterly. Hunter was genuinely happy for Kyle and Marina. There was no question that they really cared for each other. They laughed with each other and they loved each other. Unfortunately, they were inseparable, most of the time. Marina was one of Hunter’s closest friends. She was there for him. He was there for her. Hunter was fine with being the third wheel, but sometimes he missed hanging out with one or the other. Not both at the same time.
“Sparring with Will, I think. Or Penny. Or Philippa. I know he’s at the arena.” She said with a chuckle. “He’s talking trash and we all know how he gets when he talks trash.” She giggled and leaned against the railing of the stairs. “Hunter, are you okay?”
“I’m fine.” Hunter responded plainly. “Just great. How are you?” Marina rolled her eyes, ignoring the question.
“Hunter, I’ve known you for…5 years. Almost 6 years. Do you really think that I can’t tell when you’re lying, by now? Believe me. You don’t do it enough to be good at it.” She put a hand lightly on his leg and looked at him with worried eyes. “It’s Philippa, isn’t it?” Hunter hesitated a moment before nodding lightly.
“It’s like I don’t even know her anymore.” He said quietly. “She’s distant. She’s oblivious. I know that we can’t do anything…serious, but we’re barely even doing anything at this point. We held hands briefly today and that was the first time in 3 days.” He said quickly. He cleared his throat and looked at a slightly overwhelmed Marina.
“You need to be careful, Hunter.” She said quietly. Hunter nodded and rolled his eyes a little.
“I know. I know. I know. I’ve heard that. From many people.” He said with a sigh.
“Hunter, you can’t go too far.” She said calmly. Hunter opened his mouth to talk, but she stopped him. “You’re still dating a daughter of Aphrodite. Even though she was a hunter, she’s still a daughter of Aphrodite. I’ve seen my brothers get their hearts broken by them. I’ve seen this happen, Hunter. They do it for fun.” She sighed and looked at the other cabins. There was silence between them for more than a few moments.
“She’s different, Marina.” Hunter said quietly. He knew that had to be true. She was different, right? “She talked to me. She cared about me. She was a friend when I didn’t have one. She’s different.” He sighed and rubbed his eyes. “Kyle was your first boyfriend. You guys love each other.” He said before taking a deep breath. “It’s possible to get it right the first time, right? I mean, it has to be. You guys are going to get married, someday.”
“That’ll be the day.” Marina said with a chuckle. “Hunter, just because some people meet the right person the first time, doesn’t mean that everyone does. Despite the fact that you’re not even supposed to have a person anyway. You’re a hunter, remember?”
“I know that!” Hunter shouted. “Don’t you think I know that, by now?! I was ready to live my life alone! For the rest of my life! Which was going to be FOREVER!” He looked into her eyes and took a deep breath.  “I’m sorry, Marina. I didn’t mean to…to yell at you.” He said, studying the ground. She put his hand lightly on his cheek and brought his face to look at hers.
“Hunter, I get that, but you need to realize that the gods don’t like people breaking their rules. No matter whose it is. Hypnos’, Ares’, Apollo’s, Hecate’s, Janus’. No matter whose rule it is, they get very angry when you break any of their rules. Artemis is definitely no exception.” Marina said with a sigh. “Hunter, I just don’t want to see you get hurt.”
Hunter nodded. “I know, Marina. I didn’t choose to have her like me. I didn’t ask for her to lose her oath. SHE wanted to leave before she lost her oath.” He said quietly. “I’ve done more for the gods than almost every person in camp. I’ve almost died. I’ve broken limbs. I’ve gotten concussions. I was in a coma for a brief period of time. All because of the gods. I thought that maybe I would get something in return for all of my sacrifice.” He cleared his throat. “Now, I’m thinking I was wrong.”
“Don’t be too hasty.” Marina said quietly. She looked over and saw Kyle walking over. “Listen, we’re going to the condo tomorrow. We’re taking pegasi. If you feel you have to leave, then do that. Just let’s see how things go and we’ll make a judgment call from there, okay? Don’t give up just yet.” She gave him a warm smile and stood up as Kyle walked up. “We’ll see you at the campfire, okay?” She leaned over and kissed his head. Placing her hands on his cheeks she made him look at her. “I couldn’t see you in the white picket fence lifestyle anyway.” She said with a wink before taking Kyle’s hand and walking away.