Chapter 9 - Hunter


Hunter tied Ulysses down next to the other pegasi and then took Dixie’s reins from Philippa and tied her down too. He finally took Philippa’s hand and they walked into the house. It was a beautiful house.  It was decorated like a condo or a beach house. This was in no way a home, but it was still a great place to live for a while. Hunter looked around and took an impromptu tour of the house with Philippa. He was glad that he came, but being with Philippa made him feel nervous. He knew that he had feelings for her. They obviously weren’t strong enough to make him lose his oath, but he couldn’t imagine Artemis was happy about this. He could feel her leaning into him a little as they walked around. Hunter looked down at her and smiled as they came across a big bedroom. Hunter could tell that it was Marina’s room whenever her family stayed there. There were gadgets everywhere and a good amount of scrap metal sitting on a table that normal little girls would use for tea parties. He smiled at the room and looked over at Philippa who was looking through a few things on top of her dresser. She suddenly perked up and furrowed her eyebrows.
“Do you hear that?” She asked quietly. Hunter listened closely, but couldn’t really hear anything. “It’s like a…a sound.” She said with a nod. Hunter laughed a little.
“That narrows it down.” He said with a scoff. “It’s probably ju-mmghmmmgh.” Philippa stopped him by clapping a hand over his mouth. Hunter listened closely and still didn’t hear to what she was referring. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand away just as she left the room. He stood there for a moment and started toward the door when he looked down and saw a cog on Marina’s dresser. It looked like she had tried to make it into a ring at some point, but it just had a stone on it and was still very rugged looking. Without thinking, he slipped it into his pocket and followed Philippa out of the room, closing the door behind him.
“Philippa, what are you-“
“Shhh…” She muttered as she turned a corner down the hallway.
“It’s probably-“
“SHH!” She turned to look at him and gave him a glare. “SHH.” Hunter sighed and followed her down the hall. She opened a door and walked up a flight of stairs before walking faster. Hunter was a little amazed at this point that she could hear whatever it was. As they walked further, he started to hear it though. He knew that Kyle and Marina were in the house, so he hoped that it wasn’t what he thought it might be. Philippa finally stopped in front of a door and gingerly pushed it open. Hunter finally caught up and looked in to see Kyle and Marina playing Halo. Hunter looked in, feeling a little shocked and a lot stupid. “What are you guys doing?” Philippa asked, walking in and sitting down next to them. Hunter laughed and sat down next to Philippa.
“Is this a video game?” Hunter asked, feeling very ignorant. He felt like he was an alien landing on a different planet known as mainstream society. Kyle scoffed and looked at him.
“Where have you been living all your life? Under a r-“ Marina smacked his arm and then sniped him in the game. Kyle looked from the game to her and then back at the game then looked at Hunter. “Uhh…Yeah. This is Halo. You shoot aliens. Save the world.” He said with a shrug, picking up his controller again since he finally respawned.
“So, it’s like us.” Philippa said as she took Hunter’s hand and set it in her lap. Hunter blushed a little and looked over as she absentmindedly played with his fingers. Hunter reminisced a moment about the first time they had held hands.
Hunter had just found out that he wasn’t going back to Olympus to hunt with Artemis. He was at the beach, in his usual thinking spot, and Artemis had just cut off the Iris message. He cleared his throat and laid back in the sand, feeling like garbage. He loved being in Olympus and the new one that Artemis had just ripped in him was still fresh. He was regretting everything that he had done recently and he wanted nothing more, but to take it all back.
“You have a bad day too?” Philippa asked, appearing next to him. Hunter chuckled quietly and nodded. He was a little annoyed at the fact that she had only been back a few weeks, but she already knew all of his hiding spots. She laid down next to him, laying on her side with her head in her hand and her elbow in the sand. “Tell me about it.”
“Ladies first.” He said quietly, turning his head to look at her. Already he felt better about convincing her to stay at camp. Philippa sighed and put her head down in the sand, looking into his eyes.
“My sisters are being a little…” She started, before searching for the right word.
“Rude?”
“Bitchy.” She said with a nod. Hunter laughed a little and brushed the hair out of her face. He blushed and she blushed at the feeling of his skin touching hers.
“How so? I mean, other than the usual.” He said quietly as he put his hands on his stomach.
“They don’t see me as one of their own!” She said with a scoff. “Apparently, because I haven’t…Done….stuff.” She said awkwardly, blushing at the idea. Hunter laughed and looked back up at the sky.
“That’s really specific.” He said, rolling his eyes. She snorted and smacked his chest.
“Be nice.” She said with a giggle. “So what happened to you?”
“Lady Artemis said that I can’t go back to Olympus. I mean, as a hunter I am able to enter, but she didn’t welcome  me back to go on hunts with her.” He said, tapping on his stomach with his fingers. “I mean, Artemis is the only mother figure I’ve ever known.” He said with a sigh. “I know she was a mother figure for you too, but you knew you’re mother before that. I had Chiron. You even knew you’re stepmom and you had your dad.”
“My dad.” She said with a laugh. A dreamy look spread across her face. “Nice man. A little…spastic at times, but he raised me well.” Hunter feigned mental debate and she smacked him again. Hunter flinched and he curled away, his hands landing on either side of him. He smiled and looked over at her again.
“I don’t know. It felt like my mom wasn’t welcoming me back into the house, you know?” He sighed and smiled at her. “I’m starting to feel better about the decision, though.” He said with a grin. She blushed and her blushing made Hunter blushed. She leaned forward and kissed him briefly on the lips. He had to back away, but his face tingled and a smile was stuck on his face. Kissing was dangerous. He looked back up at the sky and closed his eyes when he felt fingers lace in with his. He looked over and saw Philippa looking up at the sky, cheeks red, with a smile on her face.
“Can I play?” Hunter shook himself back out of his memories and into his current situation. Philippa was still playing with his hand, but was watching the game intently. “It looks easy enough.” She said with a shrug.
“Uhh…Yeah. I guess.” Marina said, handing off her controller. Hunter retrieved his hand and smiled over at Philippa who held the controller like it might break at the slightest touch.
“Hunter? You want to play?” Hunter looked up to see Kyle offering him the controller. Hunter stared at it a moment before shaking his head. “Uhh…no. No thanks.” He said, clearing his throat. “Someone needs to teach Philippa and besides, if I take it then you and Marina will-“ He was interrupted by the sound of a door closing downstairs.
“Hello?!” Will’s voice rang through the house. “We didn’t fly across the country to sit inside!” He shouted into the house. Hunter chuckled and stood up.
“He is right.” Hunter said with a nod. “Kyle, you teach Philippa how to play. And go easy on her, will you?” Kyle waved dismissively and started a new game.
“No, it’s the right trigger to shoot, Pippa.” Kyle said with a nod, his eyes not leaving the screen. Philippa smacked him.
“I told you not to call me that.” She said bitterly. She gritted her teeth and a moment later there was an explosion coming from the game. “Ha! That’s what you get, Kyle. That’s what you get for calling me, Pippa.” Hunter rolled his eyes and looked over at Marina.
“Kids these days…” She said with a chuckle. She stood up and looked over at Hunter. “Here. I’ll show you where to put yours and Philippa’s stuff.” She said, picking up Philippa’s bag. She lead Hunter out of the room and down the stairs.
“There you are.” Will said at the bottom of the stairs. “What’s going on up there?” He asked as Penny walked in. She was dripping wet and looked slightly put off about it. “Oh…gods…” Will said, looking at Penny oddly. He held out his hand as the water filtered out of her clothes and hair. He pushed the rest of the water outside.
“Thanks.” Penny said as she blew some hair out of her face. She grabbed her bag and looked at Marina. “Where are the girls sleeping?” She asked as she slung the bag over her shoulder. She gave Marina a smile and put her hands up, arranging and adjusting her hair.
“Come on. I’ll show you.” Hunter glanced at Will who was looking out at the water. Hunter laughed and put out his hand.
“I’ll take your bag. You go out and talk to your dad or whatever it is you do when you’re out there.” He said with a chuckle. Will sighed and handed him his bag.
“Don’t…be so…mean.” Will said, shaking his head. “And correct.” He said quickly before running back outside. Hunter laughed and followed Marina and Penny around the corner to the girls’ bedroom.
“Is this your room?” Penny asked, setting her bag down in the corner. Marina nodded excitedly.
“Yeah. Whenever we would go here, I would sleep here.” She said, looking around the small room. “You probably could have guessed that by all of the uh…” She picked up what looked like a chunk of a steel girder that looked heavier than Marina was making it out to be.
“How are you doing that?” Penny asked, looking in amazement at the hunk of metal that Marina was currently lifting. Marina set it back down with a loud thud that shook the floor.
“I’m controlling the metal. Most of my siblings can do this, but it’s rather tiring.” She said with a shrug. The ones who can’t are still amazing smiths and can control technology. There’s even the occasional one who can control fire.” She said with a nod.
“I’m so jealous!” Penny said, putting her hands down, finally feeling satisfied with her hair’s appearance. “All I can do is make plants grow.” She said with a sigh. Penny looked at Marina who had zoned out for some reason. She recognized the silence though and shook her head.
“Hmm? What? I was-“
“It’s better than what I can do.” Hunter said with a chuckle, giving a strange look to Marina. Why was she so out of things today? “I can shoot a bow and use a knife or a spear. Artemis taught me some tracking skills and some hunting magic, but that’s not really going to help me in a fight.” He said with a chuckle. There was a tapping on the window and the three of them looked to see Will standing outside the window. Penny walked over and opened the window.
“My dad wants to talk to you.” Will said with a chuckle. Penny looked at him, frozen. She blushed and cleared her throat.
“Oh, umm…Goodness. Well…” She frantically paced along the floor. Will stepped into the room and grabbed her by the shoulders.
“Calm down. Just relax.” He said with a chuckle. “Change into your swimsuit. Come down when you’re ready.” He said before kissing her cheek. He glanced at Marina and then at Hunter who gave him a smile and a nod. Will raised his eyebrows at him once before going back out the window. Penny looked crazed.
“I don’t know…I can’t just…” She started pacing again and stopped in front of her bag. She reached in and suddenly turned around. “Umm…Privacy?” She said with a worried smile. Marina giggled and Hunter couldn’t help but smile a little.
“Come on, Hunter. I’ll show you the guys’ room.” She said, patting him on the shoulder and leading him out of the room. They walked around the corner to a spare room where Kyle’s bag already sat on the bed. Hunter set his and Will’s bags down on the ground and sat on the bed.
“Hey, what are we doing for supper?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. Marina climbed over the foot of the bed and sat cross-legged, prompting Hunter to do the same across from her. Hunter chuckled and shoved Kyle’s bag onto the floor before mirroring her sitting.
“I don’t know, yet, actually. Kyle said he’d cook, but I was hoping that Penny would, but it looks like she has plans.” Marina said with a giggle. “You want to cook?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at him. Hunter scoffed and rolled his eyes.
“If I’m not hunting it, killing it, then cooking it over a fire, I am of no use to you.” Hunter said with a smile as he leaned back on his hands. “Looks like we’re going with Kyle’s cooking.” He nodded and yawned a little before looking at Marina as she absentmindedly picked at the bedspread. “Is there something wrong with you and Kyle?” He asked quietly. Marina looked up and raised an eyebrow.
“No. Not really. I mean, not particularly. Nothing much.” She said, shaking her head. “Maybe a few things, but nothing too serious. I don’t know if I can spend my life with him.” She said quickly. Hunter opened his mouth to reply, but no words came. He let out a high pitched squeaking noise before clearing his throat. “Sorry. I know this is…random, but okay. Let me explain.”
“Please do.” Hunter said quietly as he looked up at her.
“I’m turning 20 next year, Hunter.” She said with a nod. “I need to start thinking of the future and honestly, I’m not sure Kyle would ever even ask me. Even if he did, I don’t think he could go through with it.” She put her face in her hands and shook her head. “On top of that, I’m realizing how much we don’t know each other. I mean, we have nothing in common!” She said, throwing her arms up in the air. Hunter put a hand on her shoulder.
“He loves you.” Hunter said with a nod. “He might not have told you that, but he does. I know you guys haven’t told each other that yet, but-“ Marina got a guilty look on her face. Hunter looked at her with a furrowed brow. “Wait…Have you?” He asked quietly. She licked her lips and looked up at him.
“He did.” Marina said with a sigh. “I didn’t respond. I couldn’t. I’m not sure if he’ll be the one I walk down the aisle with.” She shook her head and moved forward so that she could hug him. Hunter tightened his arms around her and sighed. She finally broke the hug after a minute and sat back again. “I mean…I guess I do love him. I care a lot about him and I love spending time with him. He makes me laugh when I need a laugh and even when I don’t. The only time I cry is when I see him hurt.” She closed her eyes a moment and swallowed.
“That sounds right.” Hunter replied with a shrug. “That sounds a lot like love to me. I’m no expert though.”
“But you-“ She turned red and looked down again. “Maybe you’re right. I can’t think of a better definition.” She said with a sigh.
“Philippa is probably better at this girl talk stuff than I am. You could talk to her.” Hunter said with a sorry shrug. Marina laughed quietly and patted him on the shoulder.
“You’re great.” She said with a smile. “Speaking of the queen of bipolarity…” She said, reaching into her pocket and retrieving a few pieces of scrap metal. “Have you asked her why she’s being so weird?” She asked bluntly. Hunter laughed and shook his head.
“She’s fine. I mean, on this trip she’s been wonderful.” Hunter said with a sigh. “She’s been fun, attentive, affectionate, nice.” He said with a nod.  “I didn’t think that saying that she was being all of those things would be rare for me.” He said with a sigh.
“Maybe it’s the change of scenery.” She said with a shrug. “I noticed how she’s been good too. It’s a little scary.” Marina said with a giggle. Hunter rolled his eyes and leaned back on his hands again.
“I just don’t get it.” He said with a shrug. “At this rate, I probably never will.” He said with a smile.
“Forever is a really long time.” Marina said with a smile. She stood up from the bed and straightened her clothes. “Come on. You can help me make dinner. And by make dinner, I mean pick up dinner from  Pizza Hut.” Hunter stood up and put an arm around her, giving her a squeeze.
“Sounds good. You’re paying though. Pizza Hut doesn’t take golden drachmas.” Hunter said, sounding disappointed.
“Sure. Let’s go.” She said, grabbing her jacket and walked outside.