Chapter 32 - Hunter

Will looked Hunter up and down. He had red shoes with little wings on, a brown leather jacket that was stained and looked burnt in a section, and on his back was a harness with two giant golden wings. He rubbed his eyes. “I saw a pig fly today and that doesn’t really compare to this. I’ll do it the day that Hunter dresses like that again. That is what I will say from now on.”
“Shut up, Will.” Hunter said with a sigh. “I do kind of agree with him, though. I mean I’ve had some crazy ideas, but this is by far one of the craziest. Odds are Prometheus sees me, kills me and then takes over Olympus.”
“Oh, don’t get your panties in a bunch, Hunter.” Marina said as she adjusted the straps on the harness. “Prometheus had this bird torturing him for centuries. Do you think that he’s really going to do much thinking as to whether it’s real or not?”
“Still. This seems…suicidal.” Hunter looked over at Will with slight trepidation. He knew  that fighting Prometheus was going to be tough and he really didn’t want to do it,  but he didn’t really have much of a choice, did he? “Do I look really silly or just kind of silly?”
“Really silly.” Hunter looked over at Clovis who stood at his post, but looked back. “Oh, my bad. Just creating a field of sleep here.” He said with a yawn. Hunter sighed.
“It’s a good thing I’ll be hiding my appearance then.” He mumbled before Marina pat him on the back.
“Well, it’s good to go.” She said, looking him in the eye. “I want you to know, Hunter that however this goes and whatever happens, thank you.” She said it quietly and even though Clovis and Will were nearby, she said it so only Hunter could hear it. She smiled a watery little smile at him and then stepped forward, wrapping her arms around him. Hunter took a deep breath and hugged her back.
“It’ll be alright, Marina. I’ll be fine. Prometheus doesn’t stand a chance.” Hunter said with a smile, but inside he knew it was a lie. Prometheus was going to be tough to kill, even with fear on their side. Hunter pulled away and turned to Will. “Will, take care of yourself and Penny. She really likes you.” Hunter slipped the sunglasses on his face. Will smiled at him and nodded.
“Well, come back alright and you’ll be here to see me, take care of myself.” Will said with a laugh. “That sounded weird, didn’t it?” Hunter laughed and shook his head.
“Alright. I’m ready.”  Hunter walked to the back of the building and took a deep breath. With a silent prayer to anyone that was listening, he was about to run when he heard a voice.
“Hunter! Wait!” Hunter turned and saw Philippa hurrying toward him. She ran and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him tightly on the lips. “I don’t want you to do this.” She said quietly, tears falling from her eyes. Hunter took a deep breath and wiped them away with his thumb. He was hoping to avoid this because he knew it would make it even harder to go and fight. “Hunter, don’t. There has to be another way. I’ll fight him! I’ll fight him with you! We’ll all fight him. He won’t stand a chance.” Hunter shook his head.
“He knows what we’re going to do. He can see us doing it before we do it. If we all attack, he’ll run and then take us out one-by-one. I need to do this. I can’t see you get hurt.” Hunter said quietly. He looked into her eyes and sighed. He didn’t want to leave her, but he just wanted her to be happy. “I’ll be fine. I will.”
“No, Hunter! Stop!” Will pulled Philippa away and Hunter took a deep breath and imagined himself soaring through the sky with razor sharp talons like the eagle. He sprinted forward and looked down a moment seeing bird feet enormous and clawed. “Maia!” He shouted and a moment later he was floating in midair. He looked down and saw the shadow of the eagle, blocking out sun in a huge blot in the sky. He needed to find Prometheus. He looked at the bridge and saw the boulder was smashed to pieces. Prometheus was back in the fight. Hunter flew and scouted the field. He saw a group of campers pushing monsters into a huge pit and another using a flower shop to demolish a bunch of hellhounds. Mrs. O’Leary was pouncing on enemies left and right along with Peleus being ridden by Argus and Chiron nearby. Finally he saw him. Prometheus knocking Vera into a wall and then strangling Rory. He couldn’t let them get hurt. He zoomed forward and made sure to cast the shadow to make him scared, but he quickly landed in front of him.
“Don’t kill me! I have done nothing!” Prometheus pleaded, letting the chains go slack. Hunter glanced back at Rory and Vera a moment then motioned for them to run. Rory froze a moment before nodding and picking Vera up and taking off down the street toward the hotel where the Apollo cabin was healing people.
“Didn’t see that one coming, did you?” Hunter said to Prometheus as he shed the harness and drew his knives. Prometheus watched in terror and confusion as the bird spoke.
“What…Hunter?” Prometheus’ face turned from despair to confusion to anger, but he looked at Hunter and flinched slightly. Hunter transformed back to his normal self and then charged. “You still cannot beat me, Hunter!” Prometheus shouted as he blocked Hunter’s knives with the chains wrapped around his wrist. Prometheus swung and Hunter dodged the chains, rolling forward and changing back into the eagle which made Prometheus jump and put his hands up, letting Hunter slash at his leg. Prometheus shouted and grimaced as he started his attack again. The fight continued on and on. Hunter slashed at Prometheus and he dodged, swinging his chains and blocking any attack.
“This is way more even then you were hoping, huh?” Hunter said as he rolled around the chains and stabbed at Prometheus.
“I have still won, Hunter! I am going to kill you, Hunter. I might not win this war. I might be sent to punishment far worse than this, but trust me. I am going to kill you.” Hunter switched to the eagle again and Prometheus gasped and jumped back in surprise. Hunter slashed at him and Prometheus knocked one of his knives away and caught that arm in his chains. Prometheus swung and Hunter caught the chains on his knife before shrugging them off and stepping on them. He stepped quickly and advanced, but Prometheus lifted the chains, causing Hunter to lose his footing. The chains wrapped around Hunter’s shoulder and chest, wrapping tighter and tighter, pulling him closer.  “You’ve come this far. You thought you could kill me. Today, I take your life.” Hunter could feel the chains crushing him. Hunter bent his elbow and forced the knife into Prometheus’ stomach. The titan scowled as the knife stuck in, but he didn’t let go. The coat was stopping the chains from cutting into him, but it didn’t stop it from crushing his inside. He could feel bones crack and his insides start to compress as his spine started to twist. “Goodbye, Hunter.” Was the last thing he heard before the last shreds of life ebbed away from him, leaving his body motionless as his vision went black.